Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Europe Journal, entry 14

7-12-04

Weather: Cloudy
Current Location: On route to Austria.
Current Time: 10:53 am CET (3:53 am CST)
Current mood: Tired/hungry.
Current music: "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins.

The castle we saw, Chateau de Chillon was so cool! We saw some of the secret passage ways and stuff. We saw the dungeon as well.

Last night we had a party! We danced to polkas, and we did the Hokey Pokey.
One polka in particular was really fun! (And I’m not talking about the Chicken Dance— which we did also...) It went like this: You make 2 lines, one of boys, and one of girls. At the start of the line there are 3 chairs and a flag. At the start of the polka, one guy sits in the middle chair hold onto the flag. Then 2 girls come and sit on either side, and they have to convince the guy that he should pick her, and dance down the aisle of people. The guy gives the flag to the girl he doesn’t want to dance with. The girl with the flag then moves to the middle chair and gets to pick between 2 guys who to dance down the aisle with. It was really fun! I got picked first when it was my turn. And the guy wasn’t a bad dancer.


Then one of the guys from the polka band took out this old hollowed out broom and played it like a trumpet! It was so cool!

THEN— he got out one of those gigantic alpine horns and played it for us. After that David Lang, one of the advisors, who solos on his euphonium in the song "Napoli" came up and played it. David Lang played "Amazing Grace." He was really good. Then another member of the polka band came out into the audience and picked some people to try and play the alpine horn. I got picked! It was really neat! I don’t have enough brass chops to actually play anything worth listening to, but I can get different pitches! That was way cool!

Also at the party, these 3 Swiss, 70-year-old ladies from Geneva gave us a concert! They had 2 different sized accordions and one of them played a bike pump like a kazoo! It was really awesome! Then they yodeled for us. I loved it! I wish I could yodel... On their final song, the lady who played the bike pump brought out one of the boxes that they pack the accordions in, and an egg whisk, and played the box like a drum! It was great!

Oh... After we toured the Castle of Chillon we went to Montreux and shopped for a while. Nicole and I went and looked at stuff. On Geneva we saw 2 swans and a mother duck w/ 3 ducklings! It was so cute!

Nicole and I had ice cream 3 times yesterday! It made me happy. I had ice cream for lunch, ice cream in Montreux, and ice cream that looked like the Swiss flag for dessert that night! It was good!

We’re on our way to Austria via Liechtenstein right now.

~Schnoebbles

1 comment:

dangeresque dan said...

You don't me. I was just going through blogs and stumbled on yours. I would love to travel to Europe someday. So I loved the part about the old ladies. Continue to travel; and safely. God Bless!