Sunday, July 03, 2005

Europe Journal, entry 1

Every Long Journey

Every long journey is made of small steps,
Is made of the courage, the feeling you get.
When you know its been waiting, been waiting for you,
The journey’s the only thing that you want to do.

We cannot know what you go through,
Or see through your eyes,
But we will surround you with pride undisguised.
In every direction, whatever your view,
You’re taking our love there with you.

Every long journey, what drives you to go?
It’s half of what you know, and half what you don’t.
The secret’s been waiting, your heart’s got the key,
The secret’s the only think you want to see.

Every long journey begins with a dream,
A spirit, the courage to make it all come real.
The dream has been calling you, been calling to you,
The dream is the only thing you want to do.

We cannot know what you go through,
Or see through your eyes,
But we will surround you with pride undisguised.
In every direction, whatever your view,
You’re taking our love there with you.
~~~
White wings, they never grow weary,
They carry me cheerily over the sea.
Night falls, I call to my dearie,
And spread out my wings,
And fly home to thee.
~
The Journal of
Sarah
as she tours Europe
[with a high school tour group]
as
Principle Flute, and one of five featured piccolo players.
Farewell concert, July 2nd 2004
~~~
There are so many worlds to explore,
There are so many worlds to explore.
All you have to do is open the door,
And let your spirit soar.

Note from Sarah: In copying this journal from my shorthand, onto the computer, I have only edited the spelling and grammar. Feel free to enjoy the full effect of my sometimes odd way of phrasing sentences, humorous descriptions, and blatantly obvious annotations. I have also changed some of the entries, in terms of full names and locations, to avoid any stalking...


7-3-04

Weather: Wet and Cloudy.
Current Location: On route to Chicago...
Current Time: 5:15 am CST
Current mood: Sleepy
Current music: "Fandango" from our concert last night.

Okay, so trying to function on only 2 hours of sleep is not the easiest thing ever... We had "wake-up call" at 3:15 am and then we had to get up and be ready to leave our hotel rooms at 4.
It doesn’t really help that my roommates, Ellen, Cait, Miah, and I, stayed up till 2 am... With the hyper/excited/way-too-sleepy-to-make-any-sense giggles.

The first night at the Crown Plaza, the lights went out— something I’ve never had happen in a hotel before! So everyone sat out in the hall, (where the lights were working) and played cards and stuff.

Our band rehearsals were very intense... But very fun! They were hard work, but it was gratifying.

Last night at the concert— Oh, my gosh! it was SO cool! We had an awesome crowd! Lots and lots of applause! At the end when we play "Stars and Stripes Forever" people stood up at the solo piccolo part and started clapping along! I teared up...

Right now I’m on our coach, heading off to Chicago. I on the ‘Blue’ coach.

As of late I’ve been spending a lot of time with this guy named Mark Skaden. He’s a percussionist from Kalona. He just graduated. He’s really nice, and good-looking, and he’s asked me to do things with him a couple times... We went to Dairy Queen the other night... Unfortunately, my ice cream melted all over my hand on our walk back to the hotel! But Mark was very nice about that. Yesterday morning we went and got some coffee, and we had lunch with some friends, and had dinner together at Brugger’s Bagels. We found this little candy shop, and we both had lots of fun buying sweets for the plane!

We rehearsed yesterday afternoon at the Paramount Theater.. It was so cool!!! I explored on my break, then showed Mark around after rehearsal.

Today my plane leaves from Chicago at 1:00 pm, then we fly to Minneapolis, then at 7:00 pm we fly to London.

I’m going to try and sleep doze off now...

-Schnoebbles

No comments: