Friday, February 17, 2006

TGIF!

Wow, the week has pretty much gone downhill since my last post... Midterms suck.

Yesterday, I was pretty much in a state of perpetual freaking out. I woke up exhausted and still mad that I had to wear my glasses, and trudged through the blizzard to my 7:45 psychology class, then I grabbed something for breakfast in the Den and came back to the dorm and did my music theory ear training. After about an hour, I called the hospital and said that I couldn't come in, because of the blizzard, and then I took a nap. Then I went to lunch with Jill and Emily and other people, then did more ear training. Went to band. Studied for the music theory test I had this morning. Got dinner in the Konditorei (the coffee shop on campus) and went back to the dorm to do MORE ear training.

In fact I skipped another class just so I could finish more of my ear training assignments. It was my stupid "voice class for people who can't sing" otherwise known as MU 175. The class is a joke. Really. It is. Like IS, I am not learning anything in this class.

Oh, did I mention that yesterday was Julia's birthday?:-)

Two weeks ago Jill, Julia, AJ and I had all gotten tickets to this a cappella group called "The Bobs" which were last night. We decided it would be "Julia's birthday thing". WOW! It was totally amazing!!!! It was a nice break between the painfulness that is ear training. The Bobs sang a song about being in love with a sandwich man, being too big to drive a rental car, and middle Easterners who drive too fast in BMW's. It was freaking amazing!!!! They also did an a cappella version of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Which is one of my favorite songs EVER! I really wish I could describe how cool and funny, and amazing the show was! (Casey, you would have loooooooved it too!)

After the show, we had a breif party for Julia. I gave her this awesome electric Finding Nemo Bubble-blower. She really liked it! However, in my haste to wrap it, using newspaper, like any desparate college student who holds onto tradition by a mere thead, I failed to notice one thing....

I had unintentionally wrapped it in the obituaries. How morbid is that??? :-P It was way funny... lol

I stayed long enough to set up the bubble blower and eat a piece of cake, then did ear training from about 10:15pm...

To 2:30 AM.

I am not kidding.

There was about 15 mintes around the hour of 11 pm where I took a break and wrote a lesson plan for the "flute lesson" I had to teach this morning for my methods class, but that was it.

And I still didn't get all the crap done.

GAH! You have no idea how much I hate ear training...

And you're probably thinking: Geez... why was it taking so long? She was probably just goofing off.

NO!

I had about 16 pages of dictation related stuff to do. What you do is, put in the CD, match the page with the computer section, listen to what it plays and then write it out. Yeah. It takes freaking forever.

There were a lot of melodic dictation sheets, where you listen to the melody and then write out the pitches and correct rhythms. There was also some four-voice dictation, which I think was the easiest of the bunch, and rhythmic dictation.

The rhythmic dictation was all in compound time... stuff like 6/8, 9/4, 12/8...

Ye-ah. It was hard... In fact, as the night wore on, the rhythmic dictation started to sound more and more like morse code.

I finally went to bed last night, and had to get up for my flute lesson thing that was at 8:30 am.

After theory I wanted to take a nap, but I did some MORE ear training... and STILL didn't get it all done... Wow, it was really bad... I turned it in around 2:30 before the 3 pm deadline. I don't think this will be detrimental to my grade, but still...

AH! It sucks a lot!!!! :-(

Now I finished with all the stuff I had today. Tomorrow I'm going to volunteer at the hospital at 8:30 am, and then the symphonic band leaves for run-out at 2 pm! I am WAY excited for that! :-D Davenport, here we come!!!

I have nothing planned for tonight... I think I am going to shower, give myself a facial, paint my nails and basically pamper myself... Then top it off by going to bed early...

*sigh* Sooooooo busy......

3 comments:

Nic said...

that sounds like it pretty much sucks, i'm glad i don't want to teach music. hope your weekend goes well and i fun, certianly more than all of your ear training.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah *major hugs* I think that was required. Sounds like a pretty stressful week. Yikes! I don't think I could handle that, oh boy, lol, next week I get to work with dangerous chemicals (well not really really dangerous, but ones that could cause "severe skin burns" and ones that the fumes adhere your contacts to your eyes (b/c some idiots wear their contacts...I hope they get chemicals in their eyes). LoL, oh well, that was kind of mean, but still. I hope it get's better and that you're having fun at this Symphonic Band Run-out thing! Love you!

scott said...

poor sarah, too bad I couldn't share my schlacker (i know that's not how you spell it) schedule with you, too bad