Saturday, March 03, 2007

Crazy things in my life...

So I almost went to the Emergency Room last night...

I was up until about 6 am... Because my right eye was hurting so bad...

On Thursday I had gotten something in my eye, and it hurt a lot, but it went away. After that my eye would randomly hurt but THAT would also go away.

Then last night, when I was hanging out with Rachel V. and watching movies, my eye started hurting pretty bad. I went back to my room around 11 pm and I finally took out my contact. It started being a little light sensitive so I just bummed around on the computer with all the lights off.

I eventually got into bed around 1 am... I tried to go to sleep but I just laid there for HOURS... My eye got worse.... It hurt a lot in the back of my eye... Like when you strain to read something, but it was a constant hurt. The light sensitiveness also got worse... Just the light coming in from under the door made my eye hurt so much that it was making me nauseous.

Finally at 4am I couldn't take it anymore, so I got up and called my parents (which was probably their worse nightmare.... me calling home in tears, in the middle of the night) and they gave me the number for my eye doctor. So I called her office and all of her emergency contact numbers, but no one picked up. So I left 3 tearful messages at her office and 2 cell phones.

My parents couldn't come get me yet since the roads were still bad (and it was almost 5 am by this time) because of the winter storms we've been having, so mom told me to just go to the ER.

So Leah and I had gotten dressed and were just going out to her car when my eye doctor called me back. I described my symptoms and she said that it sounde like I scratched my eye. She told me that, if I wanted to, I could go to the ER, but that wouldn't make much difference, as they would only give me an antibiotic and a pain killer. My eye doctor also told me that I could take up to 6 ibuprofen as needed, and advised me to stay in the dark. She also said to come in as soon as I could later that morning.

In case I didn't make it back, she also gave me names of some good eye doctors in Waverly.

So I called back home, told my parents that I wasn't going to the ER, and I was going to take some ibuprofen and try to sleep. They said they'd come and get me as soon as they could.

I ended up being so tired that I fell asleep after taking only 3 ibuprofen pills... By this time it was almost 6 am....

So my dad came and picked me up around 11 am... I had gotten up around 10:15 and threw all my stuff together to go home.... By now, my right eye was kind of swollen, and it was still very light sensitive, but it was no longer making me nauseous.

So Dad came and picked me up and drove me home... I didn't sleep in the car, but I kept my eyes shut the whole time and he took me straight to the eye doctor.

She came in, put a anesthetic in my eye so I could open it without as much pain and looked at my eye. Whatever had gotten into my eye on Thursday had worn a crater-shaped abrasion in my right cornea, which has now become infected.

... So I have a damaged cornea AND pink-eye!

The good news is cornea cells regenerate within 24 hours so the damage is not permanent. The bad news is I have to wear my glasses until this pink-eye goes away. :-P

So the doctor prescribed an antibiotic eye drop and some super pain killers. I have to take the eye drops every two hours, and the pain killers every 4-6 hours or as needed.

So, now I'm back home... I took a shower and took one of the super pain killers... And slept from 2 pm to 7pm--the total duration of the pill... LOL! I had to get up and take some ibuprofen. I'm doing a lot better... My eye is still swollen and red, but it's not as light sensitive.

Luckily, the doctor has no problems with me going up Minneapolis on Monday for a couple days. Whew!

So yeah, that's how I almost had to go to the ER... But I'm doing better!
_______________________________
Edit: Last night, my eye hurt so bad... I wouldn't wish that on anybody... I would have rather lost my toenail again.... Remember this post? Yeah... That hurt a lot and there was blood and I had to get THREE SHOTS in my toe for that.... And I would rather go through that then the pain I experienced last night.

In short, eye pain sucks. Try not to do something to scratch your cornea.

No comments: