Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Winter semester of school here I come!

Hello everyone!

Here's my schedule for Winter Semester:




Monday-Wednesday-Friday

7:45-8:50-- Educational Psychology
9:00-10:05-- Conducting II
2:00-3:00-- Work at ITS (Monday/Wednesday Only)
1:00-Whenever/3:00-- Work at the Library (Friday Only)
2:30-3:10--Cello/Bass methods, 2nd 7 weeks


Tuesday-Thursday:

9:35-11:15-- 20th Century Music
1:00-3:00-- Work at the Library (Tuesday Only)
1:00-2:40-- Oboe/Bassoon methods, 1st 7 weeks (Thursday Only)

I have band on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and sometimes, Friday from 3:50 to 4:40, and flute choir on Tuesdays at the same time.


What's nice is that the only class I have that is writing intensive is Ed Psych, which also requires 25 hours of field experience. I was really surprised when I found out that 20th Century Music is not writing intensive. What a relief! This semester is TOTALLY different from the fall and I'm glad... I just hope I don't eat those words after I have oboe/bassoon for the first time tomorrow. But really, I think I actually will have time to try out for the spring play! :-D Wartburg is doing The Importance of Being Ernest, by Oscar Wilde. Rachel V. is going to bring the movie from home and we are going to watch it all together.

I made it back alright on Sunday. I spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking. Our room still isn't 100% put together yet... I haven't set up the miniature Stonehenge, or my Pirates of the Caribbean box light, both Christmas presents. :-) I just need to clean off the coffee table and find a place to hang the light where it can reach an outlet, because the chord is kind of short. Or I suppose I could find a extension chord... And I still need to take down some Christmas decorations...

Conducting II is the best class ever. I've learned more in 2 days then I did in a whole semester of Conducting I. I need to practice my beat pattern, but I can now move my arm in such a way that I am experiencing less tension in my body. Which is good, because the last thing I want is tendinitis! I'm definitely nervous about doing some of the coursework, but I comfort myself with the knowledge that the teachers in this class actually WANT me to succeed and they have stressed that they will always tell us what we are doing RIGHT in addition to points where we can improve. I know this class has high standards, so I feel self-induced pressure to work hard and do well. Yay! :-)

Last night I finished the huge bag of conversation hearts that I bought last Saturday. I really want to go out and buy some more, but there's already so much candy in our room! There's about 7 candy canes from Christmas, a bowl of Hershey's Kisses, a bag of candy left over from gingerbread house-making, a bag of heart-shaped gobstoppers, the candy I got in my Christmas stocking, half of a chocolate bar I got for Christmas and my Chocolate bunny from last Easter! PLUS, we still have our singing skull-bowl left over from Hallowe'en filled with Now 'n Later candies and bubble gum. (We called him "Marley" over Christmas to include him in the festivities.) But still... I want conversation hearts... they are my favorite!

Tonight it is chicken tenders in the Mensa! I really hope that they go back to the good kind... Last time they had chicken tenders, they looked like fish sticks, and actually contained no chicken. I took one apart and checked. It was all flavored breading. The 7 of us at the table went and left nasty, unsatisfied comments in the suggestion box and I heard later that the line for the suggestion box surpassed the line to dispose of dishes and trays as well as the actual line for the chicken.

Leah and I are going to go exercise tonight in the new PEC or... The "W" as they are calling it... (For "wellness and WOW" is what the letter I got said... *gag*) Although I think "Monstrosity" would be more appropriate, since it's so freakin expensive. It's not completed yet, but I've heard it's pretty close. It has a rock climbing wall and everything! I've never done one before, but a couple friends have told me that they will be working there, so I'm thinking I might go and try it out sometime.

So I ordered some Ouran Host Club manga off of Amazon and I was able to pick it up on Monday. (Manga is the name for Japanese comic books.... For the people who read this and may not know what that means.) I ordered the first three books and I love them. They are so cute! And hilariously funny! It took a while to get used to reading them, because although they've been translated from Japanese, they original format hasn't been changed so you have to read it from "back to front" and the speech bubbles go from right to left. (The actual words do go left to right, just so you know.) There are also a lot of sound effect words that get drawn across the panel and most of them are translations from Japanese, so it takes a bit for me to figure out what they are representing. I have figured out that whenever "Bip Bip Bip" is shown in succession over a character it means that person's heart is pounding because they are in love. Haha... Anyway, it's cool and this can be added to the list of why I am a dork. :-) Sometime this year the anime will be released in the US. It'll be interesting to hear it in English and to see what the translations are like, after watching all the the subtitled episodes.

I had my first flute lesson of the semester today. It was quite painful. I literally spent the entire hour lesson playing scales. I played all my major scales, and both harmonic and melodic scales. In addition to this I had to play all major arpeggios, and all minor, diminished 7th and dominant 7th arpeggios. I'm pretty sure that my teacher now thinks that I am the worst at music theory... But I have never been good at playing things just pictured/thought of in my head! It doesn't matter if I can see a keyboard or a staff with notes on it in my head. I'm just not very good at translating that into a physical reality. It's the same thing with spelling words out loud. I do much better if I write them out first instead of just spelling them verbally. There's no way I can get around learning all this stuff though... My professor wants me to be able to eventually play that all in 10 minutes. Bleh. This means that I am going to have to spend a significant amount of time writing out all these melodic scales and all these different arpeggios so I can visually learn them and eventually memorize them. Fun? No.

This weekend we are going to go and see the movie Sweeney Todd. I am really excited! I've heard it's very very different from the stage show, which I saw in high school, so I'm prepared. (But don't tell me anything about it!) Leah and I are pretty much the only ones in our suite, and amongst our friends, that haven't seen it yet. :-P


Well, that's all for now! I'm off to discover how good dinner is this time!

No comments: