Friday, January 18, 2008

Fun and frustrations...

Okay, so it's been a while since I've updated. Sorry! It's not that I'm insanely busy, I just get caught up with so many other things, and then I get so much that I want to write about that I keep putting it off because I'm lazy and don't want to write that much... :-P It's kind of a vicious circle.

Last weekend the Rachels and I went to Waterloo to get a break from campus. We originally intended to go see Sweeney Todd, BUT is hasn't come to this area yet. (Lame? I think so.) We went to Best Buy, and then to Barnes and Noble. I loooooooove Barnes and Noble! :-) I immediately went to the manga section to see if they had any more Ouran High School Host Club books, but alas, there were none. We had fun browsing the shelves, and adding "in my pants" to various book titles. (If you haven't done it, it's probably the most hilarious thing regarding innuendos, I've ever come across.) We spent 10 minutes pondering the cover choice for the book The Picture of Dorian Gray, which has a picture of Franz Liszt on it... (Which, consequetially, also looks like a young version of Severus Snape... I wonder if JK Rowling knows this?) Then I discovered that the Ouran manga is in the Teen section, and not with the rest of the manga. :-P I already have books 1-3, but Barnes and Noble only had 1, 2 and 6. I bought six anyway, and I'll eventually read it when I get books 4 and 5.

After Barnes and Noble, we went to Target for a while, to kill time... Then we went to see In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale. Which ended up being, like, the worst movie of ALL TIME! I swear, it was like they took the scripts for The Swordsmen and for Faron, combined them, added wizards, ninjas, and orc-things, all with an obviously bigger budget. It was so ridiculous! I mean, the trailer looked cool, which is why I convinced both Rachels to go with me... But, oh my gosh... I'm not even sure I would recommend this movie for rental... It was cheese-tastsic! I've never laughed so hard at battle scenes... People were dying on screen and I couldn't stop laughing! I mean, I know it's not real, but still, I don't normally do that...

Two other things that made this movie cheesy:

1. Accents. Someone in that movie needs to get on the consistency bus or SOMETHING! I mean, you have John Rhys Davies and Jason Statham who are both English actors... Except that Davies kept his accent, and Statham didn't.... Then you have Burt Reynolds, and Matthew Lillard who are American, but tried to speak with some form of "British" accent, which was lame and THEN you have Leelee Sobieski, and Kristanna Loken, who are American, and kept their normal accents, but spoke in "powerful rounded tones." It was so ridiculous.

2. I don't know how intentional these shots were, but there was this one shot that TOTALLY was taken form Lord of the Rings! We saw that and were all like "Whaaaa-aat the crap?" The shot was the 5 main characters running along a snowy mountainous ridge, and the camera was above them and it panned out and over the characters as they ran along. The other shot involved the bad guy, who was a wizard, running around in a long black leather trench coat... And then he did all sorts of flippy-floaty things, like the Matrix. At least he wasn't wearing sunglasses.

I really really want to see Sweeney Todd!!!! Ahhh!!!

This weekend, Rachel D. and I are going home with Rachel V. It'll be a nice break from campus. Rachel V. needs to go home to get a formal dress for the masquerade ball that Wartburg Players is putting on as fund-raiser. We're going to see 27 Dresses.... And hopefully Sweeney Todd! Yay!

I also want to go see the new VeggieTales movie! I love the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! :-D

Rob Pavaronian is coming to Wartburg next week! I am so EXCITED! It will be amazing!

And now for the nitty-gritty.....


Wartburg Players will no longer be doing The Importance of Being Ernest. Why you might ask?

1. Because the director is bent on touring with the show during tour week and hardly anyone will be able to tour because of their involvement with other touring ensembles (AKA Wartburg Choir, Castle Singers etc.)

2. SOMEHOW one of the plays performances coincides with the spring Symphonic Band concert.

The first reason affects like, almost EVERYONE who wants to try out. The second one effects me and Lourey. Lourey is stage manager or something for the play, so she has to get out of the band concert.... (Which makes me sad, because she's a senior and that will be her last WCCB concert to play in, ever....) And there's no way I'd miss a band concert. But still. It's so lame. I was so excited to try out for the play!!! I really really was!

So do you know what he is going to do instead? A 3 person play, with people he chooses to be in it.

Lame. Lamelamelamelamelame!

WAY to SCREW ANYONE who wants to try out for a future Wartburg Players production. Yes, this is just my opinion, but I don't like what the director is doing. He always complains that NO ONE comes and auditions... Well, there's 3 reasons for this: His casting is often biased. (AKA he picks plays with specific people in mind for specific parts. I mean, I understand you have to do this to some degree, especially with a smaller college... but...... I don't know....) Auditions are usually not advertised campus-wide, and he does things like CHANGE THE PLAY!

GAH!

....Sorry.... This whole topic makes me pretty angry.... (If you couldn't tell...) I was really looking forward to getting the chance to try out for the play again. And The Importance of Being Ernest looked like it was going to be a very smart and witty show.



....I'm going to lunch. I'm so glad it's Friday.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I like how Rachel V and I are simply "the Rachels" now.
Seriously.
It made me giggle.
=]