Monday, December 17, 2007

Geeky literary excitement...

Sooo... Ivanhoe is turning out to be one of coolest books I've read to date... I was kind of ready to wade through the archaic text and be bored to tears with the never ending descriptions. But you know what? It's actually really awesome! And you do you know why?

Robin Hood is in Ivanhoe!

Do you know that? I didn't! I think that is so cool! I'm only at chapter 15 in the book, but a man, during the rein of Prince John, who goes by the name of Locksley, (Robin Hood is said to be from the area of Loxley) wears Kelly Green, is referred to by others in the story as a Yeoman, and states his loyalty to King Richard Cœur de Lion ("who had a heart of a lion, as well as his own..." ha!) Who else could it be, but Robin Hood!

... I don't know if I'm more excited for the adventures to come in the book as a result of Robin Hood... Or just the fact that there's a name in the book that I recognize from other sources.

Oh, and I figured out the palmer was Ivanhoe when he was first introduced on page 49, even though he wasn't identified by name until page 154.

I just wish I was able to translate all the mottoes Sir Walter Scott keeps talking about on the knight's coat of arms. They're not in Latin, they are in French. :-P


Wow... Two posts regarding literary geekiness in one day... Pretty impressive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

google 'babelfish' and translate the french!
:D
Unless you tried that and it's like, ancient French or something...
Anyway..
I MISS YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!
Glad you're enjoying your reading!
Can't wait to hear your comments on 'Wuthering Heights'. ;D
Love you lots and lots,
~Rachel V