Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Gingerbread!

Oh, today was fun! Jess and I were set to meet at Cabin Coffee for... coffee... haha... at 11:30 am.

Sooo... I woke up at 8:30, and reset my alarm for 9:30... Woke up at 9:30 and turned off the alarm completely, and fell back asleep... Woke at 10:45, when my sister came in to get dressed, thought "Oh, I'll just doze until 11..."

NOT!

I woke up at 11:20 am, and rolled out of bed, (thinking "Oh crap!) as I dialed Jessica's cell, to tell her that I would be late. I FINALLY got a hold of her, then put myself together, and I was able to make it to Cabin Coffee by 11:50.

Ahhh, Cabin Coffee, how I love thee! I had a Chi Tea (as usual) with peppermint flavor added (something new!) along with a blueberry scone, and Jessica had her norm of turtle mocha yummyness! :-D

Then we went to Fareway because we did not have any eggs, icing or molasses to carry out our plan of making gingerbread! We purchased the aformentioned items, and went to her house and looked over the recipe. This led to a discussion of what "soda" actually is. I thought it was like soda water... You know, that gross fizzy stuff, like alka skeltzer, but not medicine. She thought it was just baking soda. I disagreed because the recipe also called for baking powder. However, after googling "definition of 'soda'" we just decided that it really was baking soda, and commenced to make the cookie dough.

And then I had a discussion with Jessica about how to properly measure flour, and then later she added the molasses to the wrong bowl. *sigh* What am I going to do with her? ;-) It all went good though. I blended all the stuff with the hand mixer. And made a mess. Then we wanted to roll it out and start making cookies, but we discovered that it was too soft. Which, according to the recipe, ment it needed to chill. (We also discovered that it looked like poop. Not that it looked bad, meaning unedible. It just looked like poop. Probably because it was lumpy and brown. But it smelled good.)

So ANYWAY setting it out in the snow for 15 minutes was not enough time, so we put it in the fridge. Then Jessica had to go babysit, and I tagged along for a while... Then I went home and got ready for work.

Then I went to work at the gift shop. Fun huh? :-)

Then, I came home.... And went back to Jessica's, and we decided that the dough looked WAY too much like poop to go unoticed, so we rolled it into a turd-like pile, and took a picture. :-D (We are soooooo 5th graders...haha!)

Then we rolled out the dough, and cut out gingerbread bears... One for each member of our families... Then we did two giant gingerbread men, one for each. Then, with the rest of the dough we made gingerbread bells, trees, and stars... Then we wanted to use the other cookie cutters, so we made a gingerbread bat and a witch, a pumpkin and a cat.

Annnnd, it's late, so I'm gonna finish later...

No comments: