Thursday, February 05, 2009

Proper Technique Fail...

Thinking about it more, I'm now fairly certain it was conducting during student teaching that has messed me up now. My co-op didn't use a podium because he was taller than me, so I had to conduct way higher than I was used to (and for what was comfortable) and I remember my arms, particularly my upper arms being tense as I was conducting.

Tensing up as I play my flute, and going back to a vigorous practice routine probably didn't help very much either.

The ring finger and pinky on my right hand have started a tendency to lock up. It's really annoying.

I've made a practice schedule, of half hour increments listing what scales and arpeggios I'm going to work on and what parts of my recital music I'm going to practice. Two half hour increments a day. I also have a column for a 15 minute section where I just work on scales and arpeggios. That will put my total practice time at an hour and 15 minutes a day, just broken up so my hands/arms don't die...

My preview is February 27th, so I can't really afford to miss practice time, but also don't want to do something that will cause permanent damage. Gah. Stupid messed up-ness.

No comments: