Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Three short stories...

These are the short tales of 1. The Correction I Made to the Sumner Library, 2. The Amazing Gender-Changing Kitten, and 3. The Cricket in My Ceiling.

Story 1:

Today I further cemented the fact that I am a nerd. I went to the library today, and while browsing the animal section, locating books about cats I came across a book that was all about cheese, and was mostly cheese recipes. At first I thought maybe it had something to do with mice, but that was before I saw all the cheese recipes. Then I thought it was placed on the wrong shelf. (After all, the 636s--animals, were very close to the 637s--cook books.) but no. The catalog number was a 636. So what did I do? I took it to the front counter and explained to the librarian that this cheese cookbook has been assigned the wrong catalog number by some mistake and did not belong in the 636s with the other books about animals. (I also re-shelved 4 books that were out of place, but I didn't tell her that.)

So that was my good deed for the day.

Ooooooh, Vogel Library... The things that I never had to do [shelf-reading] that are yet instilled in me...

Story 2:

I found out that my kitten is a boy. So I have to nix all the girl names I was thinking of and switch gears. (I was pretty set on Calliope too!) So far I like:

Watson
Holmes
Samwise
Merry
Prospero
Laertes

Feel free to add in your own suggestions or discuss what you think of my list so far.

I also found out, through extensive internet research, that my kitten is what they call a Lynx Point (or Tabby Point.) I mean, it's not a full bred Siamese, but still, that's kind of cool :-)

Story 3:

Last night there was a cricket IN MY CEILING! (I have a drop ceiling in my dining room.) And at first I thought it was the fridge whirring or something. But no. It was stupid cricket. It also took me a second to actually figure out where it was coming from.

I didn't have any bug-killer spray, other than this wasp/bee killer stuff, but I didn't want to spray that in the house for a cricket. So I used hairspray. And for an hour I would spray hairspray into the space between the real ceiling and the drop ceiling in hopes that I got the stupid bug. After each time I did this the bug would be quiet for about 10 minutes... Just long enough for me to think I got it. Finally, as I was drowning in aerosol fumes, and after talking apart almost half of my drop ceiling, looking for this thing, I FOUND IT. I managed to move the right ceiling panel and it dropped to the floor, where I proceeded to stomp the living daylights out of it.

I don't like bugs.
______________

And those are the stories of my library nerdiness, my boy kitten that I thought was a girl, and the cricket that taught me how to take apart and put back together a drop ceiling.

8 comments:

scott said...

"but I didn't tell her that."
nice! lol

I vote for samwise

Rae said...

Oooh....I like Laertes!
That's a COOL one!

Holmes and Watson are still cool too.

YOU have to love it my dear, that's what matters. =D

word verification: 'reboo'
Definition by Rachel: A baby reboot.

scott said...

Oohh, how about Templeton like the cat from Charlotte's Web?

stlio

Rachel said...

I vote for either Samwise or Watson. =]

Sarah said...

Templeton was the rat in Charlotte's Web. There never was any cat. lol :-)

Daniel said...

i know that you are going to put a long and detailed reply, but calliope sounds like a boy name to me

scott said...

oh brain fart

ovedi

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

According to Irish superstition, killing crickets is bad luck. I don't much care for bugs either, but it's the only Irish superstition I still follow - I don't kill crickets.

Besides, they eat other bugs.

Always,
ArmyChris

P.S. One of Isaiah's children's names is Maher-shalal-hash-baz (the prey hastens, the spoils speeds). I recommend that; it's a good name for a cat.