Monday, November 10, 2008

Halloween, sushi, and life

So I've been slacking off in the keeping up of this blog... Sorry! Sorry sorry sorry! There's new stuff going on all the time, but by the time I get to blogging about it, it's no longer *as* new....

Um... For Hallowe'en Rachel D. and I totally dressed up as Mrs. Lovett and Johanna from Stephen Sondheim's musical Sweeney Todd. It was pretty awesome! Here's a picture:

I totally glued that apron together in a day. (Which I am really proud of... If you couldn't tell...) I didn't use a pattern or anything. Thanks to Rachel D. for the red food coloring. :-) Rachel found her dress and her props at the local second-hand shop.



It was really really fun! :-D Sadly, we didn't win the WCCB Hallowe'en costume contest, but a lot of people told us they really liked our costumes.

Brushing out my hair and washing off my make-up was probably the least fun of the whole thing.... Though by the end of the night, the frozen pot-pie had pretty much thawed and become quite soupy...

The two concerts I had that weekend went really well. Mom and the kids came to the Sunday concert and then we went out for Chinese.

Student teaching has been going well. Since Daylight Savings Time it's been lighter when I finally leave the apartment at 6:20 in the morning for school. I have about a month and a half left in student teaching. It's going by so fast, and keeping me quite busy. I am loving it though! (Aside from getting up at 5am everyday and having to go to bed by 11pm AT THE LATEST.) I am definitely going to be one of those people tearing up at the end of the semester.... I am going to miss seeing some of those students everyday.

This past weekend I went and visited Jessica at Drake and we has a lot of fun! I drove down Friday night, through the snow. I got there about 9:30. She was ice skating with a bunch of her international friends, and then we went to Perkins. We finally got back to campus around 12:30 and then we played some pool, followed by some card games, which lasted until about 1:45 am when I had to move my car before 2 am so I wouldn't get a ticket. After that we went to bed.

On Saturday, we slept in, had lunch at Hubble (Which..... Wasn't that spectacular... But at least it wasn't a confusing layout...) I had yogurt and it was yummy. Then she took me around campus and gave me a tour. Did you know that Drake was named after Sir Francis Drake, and that he donated a telescope to the college. Yeah. Anyway, it was really cold. Then we went to Gong Fu Tea, which is SUPER AWESOME! I love it! They have teas from all over the world and you can smell the leaves and decide what kind you'd like. Then they serve it to you in a little teapot with a little cup. It was a perfect day for tea, a lot of other people thought so too... It was pretty busy. After that we went window shopping... We stumbled across a costume shop and had fun looking at the different costumes and accessories. I think the winner was the Darth Vader costume for $1000. We browsed through antique shop that had an old fortune teller archaide game... Like you put in your dime, and this creepy mechanical granny, made of out of wood and all that drops your fortune in a little slot for you to pick up.

After we finished looking around the different shops we went to Taki, for sushi. But instead of opening at 4pm like we thought, it didn't open until 5. Go figure. So we drove around some more and Jessica took me to another one of her favorite stores... I think called The Back Woods. It was very outdoorsy and cool. I tried on lots of knitted hats.

Finally it was 5pm and we went to Taki. I made the mistake of admitting to Jessica that I was in the mood for something slightly spicy.... So she ordered this roll called the Sake Bomb (pronounced sah-kee.) It had jalapeno peppers in it... If that was any clue as to how spicy it was... Plus the wasabi I had mixed in with the soy sauce that I dipped the roll into... Whew! Jessica was laughing at me because I had to keep blowing my nose, and my eyes were watering pretty badly. That roll had good fish in it though... It was just super spicy. All the sushi we ordered was great and totally worth all the money we spent. We also had a really good waiter, who kept up on our beverages really well. Especially mine, since my mouth was BURNING and I was downing root beer like there was no tomorrow... Hahaha!

After sushi, we picked up Jessica's international friend Toma and went to the International Student Association variety show. It was really cool! There were so many different dances and songs, and the traditional clothes were often very brightly colored. It was super fun! Afterwards there was a raffle which included the opportunity to win an iTouch or a GPS, but alas. I am never that lucky. After that, we all went over to Olmsted and ate Sedexo versions of international food. That was very interesting. To say the least.

After the ISA night stuff Jessica and I went over to her friend Lizzie's apartment and played some Guitar Hero. I almost won a face off. (Someday....) Then we watched the movie 21 and it was pretty entertaining, although lightly predictable by the end. Even my super sleepy brain made some calls that ended up being confirmed by the end of the movie.

On Sunday Jessica and I went to Mars Cafe for breakfast/lunch and played cards for about 5 hours. We played 2 games of cribbage, the first game I was skunked, (which means that Jessica won, getting to the 121st peg, before I made 90 point-line.) I won the second round though... By luck... We were neck and neck. Then we played Nertz for the rest of the time, which was also super fun!

I ended up leaving around 4:45 pm and after following Jessica's misguided directions, got onto the interstate. (Don't feel bad though, Jess. I forgive you.) Driving home, something heavy fell into my lap and onto the floor and I freaked out. I thought it was a super gigantic spider or something. I finally pulled off at a rest stop and discovered that a small screw had fallen out somewhere from the steering column of my car. Which is... Not too good..... But I was really glad that it wasn't a spider.

I made it home safe and sound, no further problems. I have been trying my best to get good sleep so I can function at life and stuff. I'm doing okay. I mean, I'm functioning. I just... Hate having to go to bed so early, while hearing my housemates have fun. Like watching movies, or just being silly.

Okay, that's it for now. Hope you enjoyed this update. See? I'm still alive!

No comments: