Friday, May 04, 2007

"New York, New York! A wonderful town! The Bronx is up, and the Battery's down..."

So tomorrow is the eventful day... I leave for New York City with my Intro to Theatre class... :-D I am really excited and it looks like it will be a very very good time! I get along with the class (although there are 2 people who get on my nerves) and I have the feeling I will learn a lot!

Here is a very very rough itinerary of what we plan to do. The only things set in stone are the scheduled shows, the TODAY Show and our free time... But this will give you an idea of what we will be doing... Just not perhaps in this order. I've included links to keep you busy and entertained, since I won't be posting for a while.

Saturday, May 5th: Leave Wartburg at 5:45-freakin'-am for the Cedar Rapids Iowa Airport. Depart at 9:25 am. Arrive at La Guardia New York, at 3:10 pm. Evening free for exploration.

Sunday, May 6th: Morning free. 3:00 pm COMPANY by Stephen Sondheim at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre. Evening: Ride on the Staten Island Ferry.

Monday, May 7th: Day: Lower Tip of Manhattan, World Trade Center, Wall Street, Castle Clinton/Battery, Little Italy/Chinatown. Evening: Free.

Tuesday, May 8th: Morning: Lower Midtown, Grand Central Station, Chrysler Building, United Nations. Afternoon: Morgan Library. 7:00 pm THE PIRATE QUEEN (AHHHH! :-D) by Boubil and Schonburg at the Hilton Theatre.

Wednesday, May 9th: 6:15 am TODAY SHOW (we will be in the crowd, wearing Wartburg orange, and we will stay until we get caught on camera.) Morning: Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Saks/5th Avenue. 2:00 pm CURTAINS by a bunch of people, at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre. The evening is free.

Thursday, May 10th: 9:30 am tour of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2:30 pm tour of The Cloisters. 8:00 pm Puccini's Il Trittico at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Friday, May 11th: Morning spent in the theatre district, including a tour of the New Amsterdam Theatre. 4:00-7:15 pm touring the Museum of Modern Art. 8:00 pm INHERIT THE WIND (Starring Christopher Plummer and Brian Dennehy!) at the Lyceum Theatre.

Saturday, May 12th: Day spent visiting Coney Island. Evening is free.

Sunday, May 13th: Mother's Day! Morning spent touring the Lower East Side. 3:00 pm IN THE HEIGHTS at the Arts Theatre. The evening is free.

Monday, May 14th: Day spent touring Central Park, Museum of Natural History (Night in the Museum! :-D) and the Upper East Side. Evening is free.

Tuesday, May 15th: Day spent touring the Upper West Side, Harlem, Columbia University and Lincoln Center. Evening is free.

Wednesday, May 16th: Morning to be announced. 2:00 pm 110 IN THE SHADE (starring Audra McDonald!) at Studio 54. 8:00 pm SPRING AWAKENING at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre.

Thursday, May 17th: Day spent touring Greenwich Village, SoHo, and Tribeca. Evening is free.

Friday, May 18th: Day spent touring the New York Public Library, Herald Square and Macy*s. 8:00 pm GREY GARDENS at the Walter Kerr Theatre.

Saturday, May 19th: Fly out of La Guardia at 1:05 pm. Arrive in Cedar Rapids Iowa at 5:05 pm. Collapse and sleep.


For the free nights, we are allowed to do basically whatever we want... As long as we stay in pairs at least. Which is perfectly alright with me. If we choose, we could go see a Broadway show every free night we have. But that's expensive. The shows I REALLY want to see are Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast (which is CLOSING in July to make room for The Little Mermaid... Honestly, why not get rid of Tarzan?! Stupid Disney...), and The Drowsy Chaperone. I'm thinking MAYBE Phantom of the Opera again if we can get cheap tickets at the TKTS Office. Avenue Q, and 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee are both coming to the Civic Center this coming year, and my parents already bought tickets to Spamalot. So I feel no need to go see those while in New York.


So that's what I'll be doing for 2 weeks! It should be a good time! Like I said, I'm excited! :-D I'm most looking forward to The Pirate Queen and Curtains. I'm least looking forward to Spring Awakening. I plan to try lots of new food (pastrami!) and to keep a journal, which is also a requirement for the class.

Good-bye for now! I'll write when I get back! :-D

1 comment:

samharris32 said...

I am sooooooo excited for you!!! We went to NYC for choir last month and it was awesome, Pirate Queen was abbbsolutly amazing, and I am waaay jealous you get to see Audra McDonald, I like her a lot

Everything else sounds awesome as well! I agree that Tarzan should about die, I really wish we would have been able to see Phantom (It was our back up for Tarzan...) But anyhow you wont get this until you get back but have a great time!