Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Preconceived notions....

Person: So Sarah, you teach elementary music? That's wonderful!
Me: Thank-you, I enjoy it!
Person: So do you play piano?
Me: No, not very well.
Person: Well, do you sing?
Me: No, not really. *laughs* Not if I can help it.
Person: Well then, what DO you do?
Me: ........

This is an actual conversation I had with someone. They were not trying to be mean or rude, they were just trying to figure out my job and my talents. But they err by making the generalization that all people who teach music can sing and/or play piano. And I was polite and friendly and explained that my main instrument is flute, and someday I want to direct a band, but I'm certified to teach K-8 general music as well as 5-12 band, choir and orchestra. My current job was my only offer, and I'm working hard to do my best with what I have. I'm always learning something new, and I'm always working to improve. Whether it's playing the piano, matching pitch with my voice or even classroom management. And my students always find ways to make me smile and keep me on my toes. :-)

And to talk a bit about this sort of music major generalization: those of you who know me, and those of you who are ALSO music majors, know that not everyone who studies music can sing (and I mean, to sing in a manner that is pleasing to the ear. Everyone is physically CAPABLE of singing.) Music majors who CAN sing or play piano.... Or even BOTH are all amazing, and their skills help them! But just because someone can't sing, or play the piano doesn't mean they lack the ability to teach. Or lack the ability to perform fantastic music by some other venue.


:::::bang head here:::::::


This post stems from a circular conversation I had this evening trying to explain that even though I teach elementary music, I do not play piano. Specifically, I do not play piano well enough to accompany soloists, choirs or church cantors. I guess this is a difficult concept for people to understand. I can play the right hand well enough to assist my students in learning the music. But I am NOT going to play the piano at the concert. Nor will I play the piano in church. Yes, to study music in college, I had to pass a piano proficiency test, but that is really nothing like trying to play the accompaniment for concerts and church services. And that test was almost THREE years ago!

Would my job be easier if I COULD play the piano? Yes, definitely YES. But just because I am lacking in this particular skill does not make me any less qualified to teach music.

What do I do?

I teach students how to listen and find the similarities between Holst's Planets Suite and John Williams' score for STAR WARS. I teach students why flutes and saxophones belong to the woodwind family even though they're made of metal. I teach students to know what I mean when I listen to music write AABBCCABCD and I teach them how to find the pattern without my help. I teach students Italian. I teach students the difference between singing, singing loud, talking and shouting. I teach math. I teach spelling. I teach history. I teach current events. I teach responsibility. I teach problem solving. I teach etiquette. I teach coordination. I teach students how to read a new language. I teach students how to recognize high and low pitches. I teach students how to MATCH high and low pitches. I teach students to sing in unison AND in parts. I teach students how to listen and identify individual instruments. I teach students how to describe what they hear and how that makes them feel and why music is important. I teach students to listen to music and try to figure out the story. I teach students how to work together.

I teach in a classroom where I often equip every child with their own individual noisemaker... And with the cooperation of my students, I take chaos and show them how to turn it into music.

So I just try and pray for patience and understanding when I struggle with people who appear to judge my ability to teach music simply because I can neither sing nor play piano well enough to volunteer and help in the community. I wish these people could see that even though I lack these two gifts does not mean that I am any less qualified to teach music.

I didn't become a music teacher for the money. I became a music teacher because I love music and I can't keep that love to myself. I want to show others just how fantastic it can be.


You'd be surprised at what I can do... And all without any great piano playing ability.

4 comments:

Rae said...

You are a WONDERFUL teacher!
And for the record, I know plenty of people who can play the piano and couldn't teach a kanga how to roo. So there.
=D

Anonymous said...

One of my best music instructors - high school vocal music - couldn't play the piano well either (enough to pass the piano proficiency exam). Instead, she had piano-playing members of the choir play whilst she conducted. Not only did this free her to conduct, but it also integrated students into the teaching process!

I understand the unfair misconception...rather like people assuming that I know everything about literature since I majored in it. Or that I can easily quote scripture since I'm in seminary. Quite untrue on both counts, I'm afraid...

Chin up, kiddo! *hug*

Katie S. said...

My choir director is amazing! And he can't "play" the piano either. :)

I'm sure you're a wonderful teacher Sarah!!!!!

scott said...

You teach more to your students than I ever remember learning in a college level music 101 course. That's impressive for both of you.

bushou