Saturday, January 30, 2010

A clever response and a broken appliance...

Don't you love those moments where you somehow manage to have a brilliant comeback? I do... :-)

Last night, when I was working at the restaurant, I was walking back from carrying an order out to the bar section and there was a customer who was asking his buddies if he could tell a joke, and they all were not letting him tell it. I don't know if the joke was dirty or in ill humor or what, but they weren't gonna listen to it. As I passed by this person, he asked me if he could tell me a joke. And I looked at him and said no thank-you, and kept walking, but he continued and asked me if I had a sense of humor...

At this, I stopped and looked at him, raised my eyebrows and replied:

"Not yours," and I went back to the kitchen.

As I walked away, the guy's buddies hailed my answer as "awesome" and one they've never heard before and heckled the guy for getting shot down so well. As I reached the kitchen I could hear him yelling for me to get back there, so he could tell me the joke.

Not a chance. :-)

Not bad for someone who can barely talk over a whisper, no? :-)


THEN. When I got home at 10:15pm I noticed that my house was exceptionally cold... Colder than it usually is when I turn the heat down to 60 when I leave.... And I discover: My furnace is not working. In fact, it's blowing COLD AIR throughout my house! (The temp read 48 degrees INSIDE. Brrrrr!!!!)

So I checked and made sure I had hot water, I checked my gas stove and made sure I had gas-- they were all working, so I figured it had something to do with the mechanics of my furnace. I called my dad like 3 times, and mom 3 times and the house once. Mom was at work and Dad was AWOL. (Although, later it was discovered that he was at the gym.) I can't get a hold of ANYONE. So at 10:40 I finally get the courage to call my landlord, who (thankfully) was still up and able to come over...

AND FIX MY FURNACE! *whew* It took like, 10 minutes tops. The heating plug---or something like that---had gone out... Which he said is typical of Amana Furnaces, so he keeps a couple extra just in case... So he replaced it, and I have heat again!!!

Which, I feel I cannot stress enough, is very much appreciated.


Now the next thing I would like would be to have my voice back and get over this blasted cold.

4 comments:

Clear Lake Schnoebelens said...

good comeback Sarah! That was awesome. Makes me wonder where you learned those quick comebacks like that!!!!

Dad

Daniel said...

lol, say a trailer for percy jackson and the olypians; the lightning thief, yesterday i looks awesome cant wait to see it [yes ive read the books]

Daniel said...

saw*

steve91 said...

Nice work appreciate this. Amana gas furnace are great and efficient easy to use also.