Tuesday, November 06, 2007

History Test indunced PTSD...

I had a music history test today... It went something like this:

Test: Hello! I am here to test your knowledge of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven!
My Brain: What? Who are they?

The test included a hand written essay worth 25 points. (And to give you an idea of how the test is weighted... If you got all the QUESTIONS, which numbered about 75 total, and analyzed the sonata example correctly, but didn't do the essay, you could scape by with a C+.) the essay was about Haydn's symphonies and string quartets, and Mozart's Operas and solo concerti and how both composers influenced those genres to what we know them today. And you were to provide lots of examples. I cranked out about 2.5 single-spaced pages in about 20 minutes. I think it's some of the crappiest stuff I've ever written. I just didn't have time! It was insane. Everyone left that classroom looking shell-shocked.

This is what Rachel V. said afterwards about trying to write the essay. "My hand cramped up! It made me start to write in like, lines, dots, and check marks! It was like I was suddenly writing in Wingdings!" It made me laugh and I feel that statement is an adequate representation of the test.

Oh well... It's over. Now I just have two vocal analysis to do and write a paper on Beethoven's Eroica Symphony.

The funny thing is, that everyone in the class thinks that I'm brilliant at music history, because I can answer and remember a lot of random things about the stuff we discuss in class... But all I do is read the chapters....

My recital with Rachel V. is a week from today! 8 pm in the Orchestra Hall! People who read this should come!

2 comments:

Laura said...

It's called "Beethoven's Last Night."

That's all I remember. I would suggest not listening to it because now whenever I hear the pieces they used, all I can think of is the lam words they put to Beethoven's music...


Isaac would protest. He would say it's not lame.

Just puttin' it out there.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

yeah I have a horrible test tonight too. The essay question is: give a history of America up to 1900. Not 100% sure even to start with that.Hope your recital goes well. Sorry I can't be there.

P.S. Beethoven's last night is done by the Trans Siberian Orchestra and I actually really like it (and all their music for that matter