Thursday, September 06, 2007

Schedule and announcement

In case you're wondering why all my links have disappeared from the tool bar on the right, it's because I accidentally deleted my blog template and I haven't fixed it yet. :-P



Here's my schedule for Fall Term:


Mondays:

10:45 am: Conducting*

12 pm: Lunch

12:30-2:30 pm: Work at ITS

3:10 - 3:40 pm: Trumpet/French horn methods

3:50-4:40 pm: Symphonic band


Tuesdays/Thursdays:

8-9:30 am: Work at the Library

9:35-11:15 am: Music History II*

("Free time to eat lunch")

1:00 - 2:40 pm: Instrumental/Vocal Music Methods: Grades 5-12*

3:50-4:40 pm: Symphonic Band


Wednesdays:

9:30-10:30 am: Flute lesson

10:45 am: Conducting*

12 pm: Lunch

12:30-2:30 pm: Work at ITS

3:10 - 3:40 pm: Trumpet/French horn methods

3:45-4:40 pm: Flute Seminar


Fridays:

9-10:30 am: Work at the Library

10:45 am: Conducting*

12 pm: Lunch

12:30-2:30 pm: Work at ITS

3:10 - 3:40 pm: Trumpet/French horn methods

3:50-4:40 pm: Symphonic band


*Indicates a class is writing intensive.

After band each day I study until 6 pm when Rachel V., Rachel D., and Leah are done with their classes and then we all go to dinner together. Lourey usually meets up with us at the the Mensa. Eventually piano lessons will be in there too. I budget about 10-15 minutes of time to walk from the FAC which is at one end of the campus to my dorm which is at the other end.

Sooo yeah... All my classes are writing intensive--meaning a minimum of 30 pages total will be written for the class except for my flute lesson, band and Trumpet/Fhorn methods. My 5-12 class also requires 10 hours of classroom observation.


Band audition results:

I have been placed in 5th chair in symphonic band. Which is 2 places down from where I was last year. Kind of.... sucky. But there's little I can do about it now. There's also about 30 flutes in Symphonic band. 30 flutes! (We had 20 incoming freshman flutes this year! TWENTY! AHH! >:-O Plus, Wind Ensemble didn't take ANY more flutes then they did last year.) Which is freaking outrageous. I literally can sit there in band and pretend to play and not make a difference in the sound. (I'd have to be horribly out of tune to even kind of stand out.) It's really discouraging. Because I know it matters that I'm there. Meaning I know that by my being there in band my personality makes a difference. But my playing does not. And don't tell me that that's not true. Because it is. No one can stand on the podium, have the whole band play and then tell me that you can hear me specifically. There is no way anyone can say that every flute in band is important to the piece. I'm reading off a photocopy for crying out loud! There are too many flutes! I'm not mad about being 5th chair. I'm very frustrated with the amount of flutes in Symphonic band. It really really sucks.



Also, due to the amount of schoolwork I have this semester, I have decided, for the first time, to put this blog on hiatus until further notice. I really want to do well and keep up with my schoolwork so I am going to work hard to not let myself be distracted by any sort of obligation I
feel to update my blog. Because I do feel bad when I don't update at least every-other-day.

Consequently, I doubt I'll be on MSN or AIM very much either. If anything I will be "away." That means that even if I'm there, I have no obligation to reply to you. If someone wants to get a hold of me, they can email, text/call my cell, or leave me a message in the comments or on Facebook. Calls to simply chat (with the exception of my parents and Jessica) will be very short. It's kind of rude, but I have so much stuff to complete this semester that's just what I'm going to have to do. I am already feeling overwhelmed and I've only gotten through my second day of classes!

I'm kind of bummed about the course load also because I turn 21 this month and I have no time for anything other than school.

Before I finish this post, my junior recital is going to be November 13th at 8pm on the Orchestra Hall.

Some of you I'll see around campus, or next door, or at home so hopefully after I survive I can give a nice long update!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

So I don't know if you have seen my blog, or if you will, but apparently we're acting on the same brainwave because literally two seconds after I posted I saw you did, too, and with a couple of exceptions in the schedule and wording...our posts are almost identical.
And I think that's hilarious.
See you around tomorrow =]